Thursday, October 16, 2008

ReReRevised College Essay

The day my parents announced their divorce in 2005, I didn’t shed a tear. I felt strong enough to handle it. But I hadn’t truly learned how to be strong. Though my parents haven’t actually divorced yet, their separation still hit hard and has continued to affect my life for four years. The schism of my parents couldn’t have come at a worse time for me personally, the summer before my freshman year of high school. The first year I adjusted to my new life; living with just one parent and having more freedom. Sophomore year rolled around and brought new beginnings. My brother and I successfully had lived in the same house without saying anything to each other for over a year. We were both so angry with our situation. The silence was broken driving home from school when I had a bad day and broke down crying. My brother soothed my tears and my worries that day about many things, including school problems and our parents’ divorce. By the time he left for the U.S. Coast Guard in 2007, I felt stronger because of him but miserably back at freshman year, even though the bond between us remains strong. My junior year was definitely the year that brought me to who I am now. I resolved to replace the void my brother’s absence left with school activities and found something amazing: a seriously upsetting experience had given me the skills to handle many new tasks. I became involved and fully revealed the power I had to lead, plan, and achieve through the many responsibilities moderators and teachers trusted in me. I was confident enough with my newly harnessed characteristics and decided to run for Senior Class President, and won. I also took on another big responsibility that year and was picked to plan my school’s annual Freshmen Retreat. Both of these duties require someone who is strong, sensitive to others needs, and knows what the majority wants and how to give it to them. Freshmen Retreat was a huge undertaking and difficult to plan because I had to balance being accommodating to freshmen parents and the senior leaders. I gave up much of my summer to arrange all the ins and outs, thinking of every possible problem that could happen and the solution. As Senior Class President I also have to think of dilemmas within my class or school that I feel should be changed and how I can achieve those developments. I endlessly work hard to make this year completely unforgettable for my entire class. I take on big tasks and am able to handle them because I am a determined, hard working, dedicated, and unfaltering person. I’ve learned to deal with a double amount of stress, from home problems and school issues, which is a very important skill to have in the position I hold. I’m stronger and more able to handle things due to my parents’ separation than I would have been without the event.

No comments: